Summary of 2019
Another year has passed, and it’s time to look back. Here’s a list of the work-related things I’ve done in the last 12 months, and some thoughts regarding what 2020 will bring.
2. Conference attendance
In 2019 I’ve attended 4 scientific conferences. In January, I attended RStudio::conf in Austin, Texas, where I first attended a workshop called “Building Tidy Tools”, on the topic of writing R packages. My notes from the conference can be found here.
The second conference was the yearly conference of the Norwegian Association of Dietitians. This year’s conference was arranged in Bergen, and I was co-leader of the organizing committee, which was a very nice experience!
In June, I traveled to Tarragona, Spain, to attend the 12th International Conference on One Carbon Metabolism, B vitamins and Homocysteine. I presented a poster on the topic of my PhD research. My conference notes can be read here.
Finally, I attended the European Nutrition Conference (FENS) in Dublin, Ireland. Here, I also presented a poster from my PhD project. I published a live blog from the conference, and some other notes can be found here
In 2019 I’ve been involved in seven publications in international journals, as well as three papers in national journals, listed below.
- Short-term treatment with a peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor α agonist influences plasma one-carbon metabolites and B-vitamin status in rats, PLoS One.
- Dietary choline is related to increased risk of acute myocardial infarction in patients with stable angina pectoris, Biochimie
- Creatinine, total cysteine and uric acid are associated with serum retinol in patients with cardiovascular disease, Eur J Nutr
- Short-Term Activation of Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptors α and γ Induces Tissue-Specific Effects on Lipid Metabolism and Fatty Acid Composition in Male Wistar Rats PPAR res.
- Using metabolic profiling and gene expression analyses to explore molecular effects of replacing saturated fat with polyunsaturated fat-a randomized controlled dietary intervention study, Am J Clin Nutr.
- Elevated plasma cystathionine is associated with increased risk of mortality among patients with suspected or established coronary heart disease, Am J Clin Nutr.
- Adherence to the Healthy Nordic Food Index and the incidence of acute myocardial infarction and mortality among patients with stable angina pectoris, J Hum Nutr Diet.
- FENS 2019: Malnutrition in an obese world – European perspective Norsk Tidsskrift for Ernæring
- B12-tilskudd uten B12-mangel, Norsk Tidsskrift for Ernæring 2019 (3).
- 12. Internasjonale konferanse om enkarbonmetabolisme B-vitaminer og homocystein, Norsk Tidsskrift for Ernæring.
4. Media appearances
During the year, I’ve also been featured a few times in Norwegian media on different topics related to nutrition.
- Norske kostråd anbefaler ikke «vestlig kosthold», Dagens Medisin
- Ekspertenes råd: Slik faster du deg ned i vekt, VG
- Disse 10 diettene googles mest - kun to vurderes som gode, KK
- Så mye sukker skjuler det seg i maten og drikken din, Nettavisen
- Veganer måtte endre kostholdet for å få tilbake mensen, Nettavisen
- Slik leser man innholdsfortegnelse, og dette bør du se etter, Aftenposten Sprek
- Stor test av mellombarer: – To av disse er like usunne som godteri, Aftenposten Sprek
- Tror du kanskje du kan ha jernmangel?, KK
The next year will be an exciting year for me. First and foremost, I became a father for the first time when my son Ludvig was born on new years eve! Further, in January I started in a new position as a postdoc at Haukeland University Hospital, where I will continue my work on diet and one-carbon metabolism. I was recently accepted to participate in the European Nutrition Leadership Platform, organized in Luxembourg in April, which I’m very much looking forward to. In the summer I will attend the Nordic Nutrition Conference, arranged in Helsinki, June 8-11. I hope 2020 will be as productive as 2019 was, and I will try to provide some updates here as well.